The World Packaging Organisation is a non-profit, non-governmental, international federation of national packaging institutes and associations, regional packaging federations and other interested parties including corporations and trade associations.
Founded September 6, 1968 in Tokyo by visionary leaders from the global packaging community, the purposes of the organisation include to:
- Encourage the development of packaging technology, science, access and engineering;
- Contribute to the development of international trade; and
- Stimulate education and training in packaging.
Primary activities of the organisation today are to promote education through meetings, special activities and publications, including this web site; to sponsor an international packaging design awards program; and to facilitate contact and exchange among the various national institutes of packaging.
“Better Quality of Life, Through Better Packaging, For More People”
It continues to be true that a significant percentage of food never meets its purpose, that of nourishing the hungry. This is especially true in developing nations, but not exclusive to them. Food wastage is common to all cultures. Better packaging plays a huge role in reducing spoilage and retaining nutrition for those who need it most.
WPO is committed to educating people about the value that packaging adds to Society, not only for food but for beverages, pharmaceuticals, and virtually every product used by consumers and industry alike.
We know that Packaging is an indispensible tool for every society on the planet. There is no culture on earth that can do without packaging. But too often, Packaging is viewed by many as a problem. Our goal is to educate people, through our membership, about the important and valuable aspects of packaging. The world cannot do without packaging but we must learn to make packaging ever more effective; and we must educate people everywhere to respect the purpose of packaging and to incorporate this tool into the process of building an ever more sustainable society.
The WPO's main objectives are to work through the national packaging organisations and other members and interested parties to:
- Promote globally the development of packaging technology, science and engineering;
- Stimulate development of packaging skills and expertise;
- Encourage communication concerning packaging technology, applications and achievements.
- Provide a forum for those organisations interested in furthering the state of the art of packaging;
- Monitor and communicate with its members concerning packaging-related issues such as consumer safety, food preservation, and environmental impact;
- Assist in the creation of conditions that will help optimise the conservation, preservation and distribution of foodstuffs and other packaged products;
- Contribute to the development of international trade;
- Advise on the formation and operation of national packaging organisations and institutes;
- Provide information on sources of packaging knowledge; and
- Engage in other such activities relating to packaging as approved by its Board of Directors.
If you have any questions about WPO's vision, initiatives and programs, please click here.