Chicago (US), May 2013 The ceremony to announce the winners of the WorldStar Awards 2013 was held on May 9th, during Auspack, in Sydney (Australia). The 2013 round of the WorldStars, the most important packaging award in the world, organized by WPO (World Packaging Organization), brought in 316 entries from 32 countries from around the world. More than 227 people attended the awards ceremony.
During the ceremony, besides the winners in all the seven categories – Beverage, Electronic, Food, Health & Beauty, Household, Pharmaceutical & Medical and Other, WPO´s President, Tom Schneider, selected the President´s Award winners. They were:
- Gold - TalkPack (Wepak Walsrode GmbH & Co. KG - Germany)
- Silver - Mosspack (BossPack Co Ltd – South Korea)
- Bronze - Folding returnable pallet for Drums (Sankyu INC. – Japan)
In the Sustainability Award category the winners were:
- Gold - Loop Pallet (IPG Intelligent Packaging Group – Sweden)
- Silver - Infini Bottle (Nampak Plastics Europe)
- Bronze - Mount Franklin Easy Crush (Coca-Cola Amatil – Australia)
Marketing Award is a new category for 2013 and was given in memory of Dogan Erberk, an active member and vice president of WPO, from Turkey, who passed away in 2012. The winners were:
- Gold - J & B Twister (MW Creative - UK)
- Silver - Ice Pack (DS Smith Polska – Poland)
- Bronze - Packaging for sunflower seeds (Ukrplastic – Ukraine)
The Packaging Week was hosted by AIP (Australian Institute of Packaging) and took place May 6-9. The main decisions taken at the Board Meeting were:
- support for packaging training to be held in China, Indonesia and through the African Packaging Organization;
- a Packaging Residential Training Program will be run in Mumbai, India, towards the end of October 2013. This program will be hosted by the Indian Institute of Packaging in partnership with IoPP USA and will be sponsored by WPO;
- the Brazilian Packaging Association (ABRE) will host the WorldStar Student Awards program 2014 and 2015;
- the board commissioned the investigation into updating a global packaging statistical review;
- in order to continue to make WPO a global reference on packaging, the new WPO website was launched during the Board Meeting;
- the offer made by Graphispack Association, in Spain, to host the WPO meetings, from November 4-8, was accepted.
High resolution pictures of the winners as well as the ceremony can be downloaded at www.worldstar.org. The next WorldStar judging is due to take place in November 2013 in Barcelona, Spain. For further information on WorldStar contact Rachel Books at firstname.lastname@example.org
Founded in 1968 on the occasion of the second Japanese International Packaging Exhibition, the World Packaging Organisation is made up today of member organizations from 42 countries. Many members are packaging institutes; other significant members are national or regional trade organizations that promote their countries’ packaging products. In recent years, WPO has focused on packaging in developing nations.
With headquarters in Chicago (USA) the entity promotes projects and actions aligned to its main slogan “Better Quality of Life Through Better Packaging for More People.” With that mission in mind, WPO encourages the development of packaging technology, science and engineering; stimulation of international trade; and the advancement of packaging education and training. The President, Thomas Schneider, is based in US.
Press information and request of pictures and interviews:
Liliam Benzi – email@example.com - +55 11 99989-1597